Welcome to the "Saturday Morning Book Study Group"
Saturday Morning Book Study Group
Unitarian Church — 1 Middle Street, Brunswick, ME — 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
The Saturday Morning Book Study held its first meeting on January 16, 2016. Founded by Gary H, the meeting started with the concept of reading literature consistent with the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Early meetings were small, with 3 or 4 in attendance. The first book read by the group was Sermon on the Mount by Emmet Fox, selected for the influence it had on Bill Wilson and his writing of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Slowly the group began to gain a following. Here was a different type of meeting that offered the chance to delve deeper into the program to extract a more thorough and substantive understanding of our unique program. Because each new reading is determined by active members, new attendees found that within this intimate gathering, they had a voice in its direction. A group conscience began to emerge, described by one member as a “gentle and inviting environment.”
To date — November 2019 — the Saturday Morning Book Study Group has read the following:
• Sermon on the Mount New Testament, Gospel of Matthew
• The Four Absolutes Moral values taught by Jesus
• Drop the Rock Steps 6 & 7, removing character defects
• Drop the Rock, The Ripple Effect Step 10, taking continual inventory
• Emotional Sobriety Grapevine stories regarding serenity and balance
• Emotional Sobriety II Grapevine stories re: giving versus receiving
• Spiritual Awakenings Alcoholics share their spiritual experiences.
• Step by Step Grapevine stories on each of 12 steps of AA.
The group started Breathing Underwater - Spirituality & the 12 Steps as of 11/13/19.
Today the group has a core following of 20-25 weekly attendees. Regularly held business meetings the first Saturday of even months and a weekly collection in compliance with AA’s 7th Tradition allow the group to contribute to the AA service structure. It has been a remarkable thing to watch this group grow and evolve. We welcome you to join us.